Monday, March 28, 2011

Tucson: The Other Love of My Life

One of my favorite things about Tucson is the scenery. If you are even the slightest bit of an out-doorsy person then Tucson/Arizona may just be your heaven.  Each morning, I walk out of our apartment and am greeted by the gorgeous Catalina mountains.  I always felt that it was too easy to get sucked into your own world living in NOVA.  I never had a reminder of just how big the world is and how small my part was in it.  Not saying that I like to be belittled, but its nice to have your head pulled out of a certain place every once in a while.  Too many times I forgot to enjoy life and appreciate the things around me.  I was too concerned with finding the best way to beat Fairfax traffic, or racing someone to find the best parking spot at the grocery. It's amazing how quickly a person can change and become drone-like when living in that type of an environment. Sorry if you feel like I'm ragging on NOVA, but lets call a spade a spade. NOVA is a fantastic place to live for certain people. Not saying they are good or bad, but NOVA is much more suitable for the entrepreneur or the work-to-live type of person.  Not me. I craved to be constantly reminded of the world's beauty, the fascination of others' cultures, and the way of a slightly slower lifestyle.

If I had to describe AZ in one word it would be: humbling.  Ever have one of those experiences where you are presented with so much beauty it just takes your breath away and silences you? Arizona does that to me everyday.  I live at the base of the Catalina mountains and am 5 minutes from some of the best hiking in Tucson. Hiking in Sabino Canyon is one of the most humbling experiences of my life.  Every other Saturday or so, Dylan and I venture out early in the morning and start the 8 mile, 5 hour hike.  Midway through, you are presented with huge rock structures that are bigger than any building I have ever seen, gorgeous views of the valley, and so much raw natural beauty it makes your heart want to stop.  Stunning.  There is nothing like standing next to a huge rock formation which appears to be defying all laws of gravity and physics to take your breath away and make you realize that you are just a small part in this amazing world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment